Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Book Review: The Hunger Games

I recently finished reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The fact that I actually had time to read a book when my world is one big crazyfest is beyond remarkable. But The Hunger Games is one of those books that demands to be read. You have to make time for it. There's simply no other option.

The book opens with our MC's POV. First person. (It's the way to go nowadays.) If I hadn't read the back cover I might have thought the MC was male just because, well, Katniss has a very blunt, no-nonsense and often brutal way of looking at the world. She almost lost me when she talked about trying to drown a cat. (I'm not kidding.) But in the same time her actions repulsed me, her reasons enthralled me. And I immediately knew this was one hard-ass chick.

Except she's not nearly as hard as she pretends to be.

What Katniss is, really, is refreshing. With so many Bella prototypes flouncing around out there, it's nice to have a girl on the opposite end of the spectrum. Katniss has no time for boys, immortal or otherwise; she's too hell-bent on trying to survive. Except then her sister gets chosen for the Hunger Games--a battle to the death between 24 contestants ranging from 12 to 18 years old--and Katniss volunteers to take her place.

Blood, gore, sullenness, skirmishes and revelations of personality ensue. I admit that I didn't really get to the OMG-I-must-continue-reading-this-even-though-it's-3 a.m.-and-I-have-to-go-to-work-in-four-hours point until Katniss was in the actual Hunger Games. But the buildup wasn't boring and it was totally necessary to get the correct impression on what the Hunger Games is all about. But then things just flew. It was an adrenaline rush. I was flipping pages as fast as I could read them, thinking, Wow, this would make an awesome movie. (Rumor is the movie is going to come out in 2011. I'm crossing my fingers that it's as awesome as the book... though we all know it never is.)

But the thing I loved the most about Suzanne Collins' work was that Katniss' core personality stayed the same. Everything is about survival to her, even pretending to be in love (but is it really pretend)? AND THERE'S MORE! The book leaves off with the question: Is Katniss really pretending to be in love with Peeta (and what, exactly, are her feelings for Gale?) or does she actually care for him but refuses to admit it? And what's going to happen to her now?

I REALLY want to get the second book (and the third and final one comes out the 24th of this month! Squee!) But it will have to wait until next paycheck. :(

Recommended read? Yes!

Rating: 4.99 out of 5 stars (just because Katniss tried to kill a kitty, and I can't condone that, even if the kitty is ugly and would just be another mouth to feed.)


Disclaimer: I was not paid to review this book and I bought this book with my own limited funds, thank you very much.

2 comments:

  1. A very well thought out and well timed review. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put this book on hold at the library tonight. Hopefully, I'll get it soon! Great review, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete