Monday, June 28, 2010

Make A Wish!

I'm a big believer in wishing. It goes hand in hand with dreaming, and I've always been a dreamer. So much so, in fact, that my mom used to call me Bubbles. (Not the nicest nickname, since she claimed that I had air bubbles in my head because I would space out when she was talking to me.) I'm always thinking. Always dreaming. Always wishing.

I used to think that wishes were secrets. You kept them to yourself if you wanted them to come true. Same thing with dreams (like the ones you have when you're asleep). But now I don't believe that so much. I think the more you share your wishes and dreams with the world, the more real they become. You are constantly reminded of them. Someone will ask you, so how's Wish No. 1 coming along? And it's no longer a wish or a dream, it's a goal.

Today is my birthday. I'm 24. Woot. I'll admit that I've never enjoyed my birthdays because it's usually the day that if something could go wrong, it does. And deep inside I'm a spoiled, selfish princess who still believes that my birthday should be my SPECIAL DAY and I should get whatever the heck I want. (Har. Har.) But the only way that happens is if I make it happen. The same thing with wishes and dreams. You can let them drift away or put them into other people's hands, but, chances are, nothing will come of it. YOU have to do something about it.

When I blew out my tealight candle on the birthday cake that I'd bought for myself (sad, right?), I wished to be published. But I'm not about to sit around and wait for my fairy godmother to show up and poke me with her wand. I'm going to try harder. I'm going to make it happen.

24 is the magic number. :)


5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I hope you get those wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!

    I also believe that wishes only come true when you share them, give them wings.

    Again, happy birthday, and make your wishes take flight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 24th birthday!

    You know what they say, publishing still requires a lot of luck, so your wish may have generated more of it! And you're very right about having to make your wishes come true. You can't just sit around and dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saying the wish/dream out loud gives it power and momentum, forces you to act on it. Like you said, people will ask about your progress on what you've stated.

    I hope you have wonderful year with much progress toward your dreams of publication.

    ReplyDelete