Monday, March 22, 2010

Obsession

I have a family tree of addictive personalities. Drugs. Sex. Violence. Alcohol. It's all there. Lots of wackos and creeps. Cool, huh?

So, good little Brandi has stayed away from anything that might cause her problems (i.e. jail time, liver failure) because she knows that this evil little part of her wants to give in to all those bad things. Just like daddy and grandpa and aunt and uncle, etc. So, she drinks moderately. She doesn't smoke. She doesn't do drugs or have strange sex fetishes. She's a good girl. (Though apparently she likes to refer to herself in the third person.)

But I am obsessive. I obsess about things ALL THE TIME. I've been called a worry-wort and space-y because there is always something on my mind. This can be both a good and a bad thing. When I obsess about a story, it flows. Plots move forward, characters develop, description is precise. But then there is the downside of all this. I can't let things go. FURY is out on submission and I was obsessing about it so much it was literally making me ill. So, I'm focusing my obsessive drive on something else: revising Dragon Queen. This is hard. Really hard. Because revising makes me think of FURY. FURY makes me think of queries. Queries makes me think of checking my email for the millionth time that day. Argh.

Being obsessive makes me miss the fun of it all, though. That's the worst part. I write because I want to get published, yes. But I REALLY write because that's what I like to do. I love to put worlds and people down on paper. I love the excitement when a character does something unexpected and takes the plot in a whole new direction. I love stories in general. That's why I write. It's not about fame or glory or any of that. It's just about the story. I just want to share my story with others. And the main way to do that is through an agent. But I won't obsess about that process any more. I'm going to turn my obsession back to where it belongs: the story.

1 comment:

  1. Hehe. Sorry to hear that your brain keeps turning to what you can't do anything more to influence right now. But I'm sure that I'll eventually be sharing the same obsession. I do to an extent every time I post something to be reviewed on the forum or send a section to one of my writer friends.

    Good luck with Dragon Queen. I love that story and am looking forward to when I can hold a copy in my hands. And then after I read it a few times, start passing it around my family members.

    ReplyDelete