Tim is a pretty all around strange guy. You probably don't want to know more about him than that. He is as of yet unpublished and the only real recognition he's ever gotten was from a celebrity onTwitter who tweeted at him, "your kinda strange," verbatim. You can't really say the celebrity was wrong, because Tim did after all write his entire bio in the third, which is not only strange but borderline creepy. He and a handful of others write SF reviews at The SF Scrivener.
And, now, onto the post!
Not a Modicum of Motivation
By and by, your attention becomes so intently focused that you no longer notice the raw knuckles, the cramping thighs, the strain of maintaining nonstop concentration. A trancelike state settles over your efforts; the climb becomes a clear-eyed dream. Hours slide by like minutes. The accumulated clutter of day-to-day existence--the lapse of conscience, the unpaid bills, the bungled opportunities, the dust under the couch, the inescapable prison of your genes--all of it is temporarily forgotten, crowded from your thoughts by an overpowering clarity of purpose and by the seriousness of the task at hand.
~Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild
Why write?
Writers are accustomed to mulling over the many motivations that drive their characters to plunge headlong into the sticky miasma of conflicts their sadistic brains lay out for them. But what is it that ensnares a person in the psychic torment of a writer's life?
Reading /Into the Wild/ aroused this question of motivation in me, a question that demands an immediate answer. I feel paralyzed in its wake. There's a tear-wrenching fist twisting in my gut holding me en route. As I search for an answer, no matter where I start, I keep coming back to the engimatic nature of youthful wanderlust. What is it that brings out the haughtiness in a young man, that makes him need to conquer the world itself--to stand at the highest peak, look out into the panorama of beauty, wrapped in the all encompassing blanket of nature, and then secretly utter into the infinite abyss, "Fuck you"?
I'm convinced that the same thing in a young guy's psyche that pulls on his heart strings to climb to the highest mountain in view and openly sever any connection with society can translate, or actually does translate, into male author's works as an almost unavoidable theme. But even moreso, I find it my underlying motivation to why I write. Why climb the highest mountain, when I can create a mountain even bigger and then have some fictional derivation of myself climb it for me?
So what exactly is the motivation to write? I'm gonna go with genetics for now. I'll let you know if I think of something more convincing.
So how about you? Why write?
Nice post, Tim.
ReplyDeleteI write because I love telling stories. I know the feeling of being transported to a bigger world through words, and I want to be able to take others on those journeys.
Also, it's one of the few things I do well. I'm a reasonably decent artist, I'm good with kids, and I can write.
I don't know how to do much else, and I don't really want to do anything else.
I love your way with words, Tim! Thanks again for your post!
ReplyDeleteAs for why I write...
I write because I have to. Because there are so many stories inside just begging for an audience. I've tried to tell them verbally, but it doesn't do them justice.
I write because I've always been a little bit of a loner, too shy and timid to go out and experience all the things that I want to experience. So, like you, I create my mountains instead of climbing the ones that already exist. :)
And I also write because I love the written word and am constantly undo by the beauty of excellent prose.
Oops. Undo was supposed to be *undone*. Caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.
ReplyDeletegreat post, tim! thanks so much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteand thanks so much to brandi for hosting!!
thanks ladies and gent! especially thanks to Brandi! it had fun with it. :)
ReplyDeleteI write because I don't think quickly on my feet. Only rarely do snappy comebacks pop into my head on the spot, and they aren't always good ones. (When they are, I get double takes cause no one expects them from me.)
ReplyDeleteI write because I finally realized I've been making up stories in my head to entertain myself for a long time and that I should finally start trying to put them on paper. If only it was as easy to write them down as they are to imagine, but that requires the motivation to pin down story lines rather than leave multiple pathways open in my mind and alternate between them as my mood goes. One of my biggest struggles is when I run across a divide in possible outcomes and have to decide which pathway will make the most interesting story.
Motivation, yep that's something I have to work on, though I'm getting better.