Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Quarter of a Century

It's official. I am now a quarter of a century old.

Woohoo! Right?

Pffbt. I don't feel like 25. Most of the time, I still feel like I'm 19, struggling with "finding myself" and grasping at dreams. And that's okay. Especially if it means that I keep getting carded for things like buying knife sets (I am not joking).

I honestly thought that by 25 I would be set. I would be married (check), be paying on my own home (nope), have a kid or two (do dogs count?) and be well-established in my career (haha). Funny how life isn't predictable and doesn't follow a schedule. While there have been some things I've managed to keep to the plan (getting married AFTER college, having kids AFTER landing a career (so far at least)), mostly I've been all over the place.

First of all, whoever thought I would be going back to school to be a teacher? Not me. But here I am. Taking classes. Trying not to think about the enormous debts I'm going to accrue or how completely exhausted I am going to be. And once I get my schooling out of the way and start teaching, the husband is going to go to school for . . . something. He hasn't decided yet.

My husband is a little like me in that he wants to do EVERYTHING. He wants to learn about EVERYTHING. We're like kindergartners, changing our minds every three seconds about what we want to be when we grow up. But I've finally buckled down and decided to be a teacher. No worries, I'm still writing. In fact, I've been writing and revising like crazy. I just haven't been talking about it much. Not sure why.

So, the new goal is to be a secondary English teacher and writer. That's what I'm going to be when I grow up. Or get older I guess. I've heard it's all downhill from 25. (Lol.)

One thing is for certain: I AM slowly becoming my mother. I used to loathe gardening, taking care of animals (I liked animals, just didn't like cleaning up their poop), and Martha Stewart-esque household chores. Now, I have a garden that I spend a LOT of my time in (and enjoy it, which is the weird thing). I want to have livestock so badly, but can't. Grr. And this past weekend I made pickles. Yep, I canned. All by myself. (And they are delicious!)

I'm looking forward to the next 25 years. We'll see how the plans go for them.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Brandi! I just turned THIRTY! SPEW! Yeah it's crazy how life ends up turning out a bit differently sometimes. I think you're doing pretty dang well. And many successful writers take the English teacher route. I wished I would have done that, but my college attempts have all failed hilariously. I've almost completed an email course and feel like I've really accomplished something LOL. Good luck with your new goals, and I know your writing will turn out awesome because . . .you are great at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy b-day (a day late, sorry). You share this special day with my daughter, who turned 20 on the 6th. Don't worry too much about becoming your mother. It happens to all of us, and in time you learn to accept it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! (really late I know boo!) Welcome to the quarter-life club ;)

    ReplyDelete