It's been a horrid week and while I'll try not to bore you with the details, let's just say that it involved me threatening to kick a relative's rear end to next Tuesday and the newest addition to my furry family, Papi, a white chihuahua, being hit and killed by a car. So, yes. Awfulness abounds.
Some people might harvest this turmoil and use it to write something really dark and angry. Something that leaves tear stains on their keyboard. Not me. Despite my tendency to have a dark vibe in a lot of my writings, I'm usually NOT in that sort of mood when I write them. I'm usually in a pretty good mood, or at least a neutral mood. Writing in a bad mood leads to, well, a lot of unintelligible, melodramatic scribbling. Instead, I draw.
Drawing is therapeutic for me. My mind goes blank. The only thing that exists is the paper and whatever medium I'm working in (lately, it's been cheap ball point pen). My mind narrows in on the line, the expression, the shading. Nothing else matters. And yet, it still becomes an outlet for my emotion. After I complete a drawing, I feel like some of the festering has gone away. I feel emptied. Scraped clean. Sometimes this feeling will last the rest of the day. Other times, it's only a moment. If it's the latter, I'll usually start working on another drawing.
I've been drawing a lot this week. It's probably a good thing. It's certainly allowed me to contribute once again to my Deviant Art page (which remained un-updated for, like, 6 months). I don't really draw to impress people and I'm certainly not the most talented artist out there, but I still like to share my works with others because every now and then, someone else will be like "I totally understand what this means" and it will make me feel not so alone.
This drawing is one that I finished this week. It's called "Sorrow" and I drew it the day Papi died, but before it actually happened. A premonition? I'm not sure.

Ooo... she's pretty. Although I'm sorry about your dog. :( I know how that feels, having a beloved animal hit on the road. *pats Brandi's back*
ReplyDeleteI tend to "zone out" when I'm painting or drawing too... nothing there but me, my art, and possibly my favorite CD. It's funny, because I try to ignore my writing self in the other aspects of my life, but it's only when I'm drawing or painting, or perhaps sewing or beading, that I actually can forget what's going on in my story for a little and my mind get's to relax. When this is the case, you know for sure that you are a writer. ;)
I'm so sorry to hear about Papi :(.
ReplyDeleteYour drawing is great, much better than my stick figure masterpieces lol. I usually have to exercise to get my mind off of things that are upsetting me, it helps me go to that zoned out place where I don't actually have to think. It's good that you know where your place is (in your drawings). I hope this week goes better for you!
(Stratton)
Sorry to hear about your dog.
ReplyDeleteI can't draw that well or zoned out. I think far too much. But that might be because I hardly do it. I'd love to be able to draw what I imagine.