According to the blurb:
Live fast, fight hard and, if you have to die, then take as many of your enemies with you as you can. That is the Amazon credo and it was one Samia lived and died by. Now in contemporary New Orleans, the immortal Amazon warrior is about to learn that there’s a worse evil coming to slaughter mankind than she’s ever faced before.
Shapeshifter Dev Peltier has stood guard at the front of Sanctuary for almost two hundred years and in that time, he’s seen it all. Or so he thought. Now their enemies have discovered a new source of power--one that makes a mockery of anything faced to date.
The war is on and Dev and Sam are guarding ground zero. But in order to win, they will have to break the most cardinal of all rules and pray it doesn’t unravel the universe as we know it.
Let's start off with the fact that I liked this book. I liked the characters (who were funny and spunky) and the context was definitely interesting. I'm a pretty hard sell when it comes to paranormal romances anymore, but I still found myself enjoying Kenyon's mix of Greek mythology and modern-day paranormals. Demons, Daimons, Dark-Hunters, Were-Hunters, and more! I enjoyed the book, even if I snickered a little bit on just how boy crazy the writing seemed (if you want descriptions of rock-hard, drool-worthy bodies, then Kenyon is a good bet for you), but since it was a romance, I let it go.
However, I had my nitpicks: EVERYONE is beautiful. I seriously hate that. And they weren't even beautiful in their own unique way. They were just lovely and lust-inducing. Yes, I get that they're "not human" but does every stinking nonhuman have to be drop-dead gorgeous? (The only exception were minor-minor characters.) And the ending. I would have been more than happy if Ms. Kenyon did without the epilogue. The epilogue took a sweet, emotional ending and turned it into disgustingly-sweet-OMG-seriously?-overkill. Yes, I wanted Sam and Dev to have their happy ending, but I'm also of the mindset that it's OKAY for that ending to be imperfect.
(WARNING: I am going to totally ruin the book for anyone who hasn't read it.)
So, Dev and Sam couldn't have babies because she's technically dead, and she was still in danger of having Artemis come kick her ass, but that was cool with me. And then Nick delivers Sam's soul (no clue as to how he gets that from Artemis . . .must have to do with him sleeping with her) and what's-his-face (S-something; he only appears in the book twice, so it's easy to forget) comes in with some BS excuse that he hates the Fates so he's going to make it where Sam can get pregnant just to piss them off. Baby-making ability does not equal happily-ever-after-perfect romance. Or maybe it does. But it seriously made me want to rip those pages out. Do I have anything against the desire for a lovey-dovey couple to procreate? Not at all. But I DO have a grudge against dues ex machina. And that's what brought this book from a four star to a three star review.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI've read several of her books, and well, I don't care to read anymore. Ms Kenyon uses and reuses the same equation for all of her books. Basically some intensely emotionally damaged scarred half-god or once-was-god saves the world, falls deeply in love with the opposite sex character (most of the time is also a god, or a mortal of appearance, who is a god and doesn't know it), and the book ends pretty predictable.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you totally about these books. It was a decent read the first book, but not the second or third time. Reminds me of the horrible sequels they make of great movies to get that cash cow. The guy your talking about is Sin, but the guy I really liked was Acheron. All in all, this book is like a disposable camera. Good for a 1 time use, but not as good as the other cameras.
If you're looking for a good book read, I would recommend "The Harry Dresden Series" by Jim Butcher. Basically its about a Wizard living in Chicago moonlighting as a PI for the Chicago Police Department for Paranormal activities. The bitch of the deal is, because he is a wizard, he pretty much destroys anything electronic in a matter of hours due to his aura.
His books cover quite a few things such as run ins with Vampires, Werewolves, Fae and the Fae World, Native American Skinshifters, and Jamacian Witch Doctors. Each book is vastly different in environment and plot but keeping the character's persona's intact. 5 out of 5 stars on all his books. And if you hurry, you might get them finished (7 books to date) before the next one comes out.
Apologies for the repost. Something jacked up and only half got posted the first time.