Thursday, April 28, 2011

Beta Reader vs. Critique Partner

I've recently dived into the field of beta reader. I looked at this as a thrilling opportunity to read some highly polished work by authors wanting that finish spit-shine before sending their novel into the hell of Queryland. Apparently I should have specified that.

You see, I was under the impression that a critique partner comes before the beta reader. Critique partners are for the nitty-gritty basics of the novel. They help with technique, show vs. telling, passive vs. active, character quirks, plot pitfalls, etc. They, basically, help you learn how to write. (This has been my experience anyway. And, truthfully, I have become a MUCH better writer thanks to my critique group.)

Granted, joining a critique group is tough, yet it's a necessary step to becoming a better writer. We're often too kind to ourselves, or just blind to our flaws, and nothing shines a spotlight on them like a bunch of other writers. Receiving critiques can be one of the most soul-crushing things you've ever experienced (yes, I've had a few of those less than complimentary critiques), but without someone to highlight your errors, how are you ever going to grow from them? AND there will be times (more often than not, I've found) that you will actually have someone LIKE what you've written, and offer you suggestions on how you can make your good story, great.

There is also the sneaky benefit of giving critiques. Not because you've finally found your chance to bash that writer who hated your MC, but because when you critique other people's work, it's easier to see what DOESN'T work in writing, and then you can apply it to yours.

So, to sum it all up: A critique group/partner should be your first step with your newly fledged novel. THEN comes the beta reader.

The beta reader looks at the BIG PICTURE of the novel. They focus on character motivation, plot arc, themes, motifs, pace. Betas should not have to stumble over "weak" writing. You should have a good grasp on writing technique and an even stronger grasp on your voice before you submit your work to a beta.

But this is just how I look at it. What's your take?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I was always under the impression that Beta Readers followed the critique stage.

    Unfortunately, I think a lot of people have come to believe the two are synonymous.

    Melanie McCullough
    http://melaniemccullough.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! I'm a little embarrassed to say that despite following so many writing-related blogs and reading about the novel writing process, it didn't dawn on me that beta readers and critique partners are two very different things, as you pointed out. I couldn't agree more with what you said! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had it in the opposite order. I tend to polish before anyone reads, though, so I'm not sure where the "critique" group really comes in. I need big-picture information, not grammar and structure and whatnot.

    I see the critique group as someone who helps you develop your style. Once that's done, what do you need them for?

    - Eric

    ReplyDelete