Friday, February 12, 2010

What Goes Around Comes Around

I'm being a bit snippy today. Probably because I had a nightmare last night about anacondas trying to eat everyone (and, no, I didn't watch the movie last night) and then, once I woke up (right before they ate my dog) I couldn't go back to sleep because my stupid cat wouldn't shut up. We had a battle of wills. He's been meowing at ungodly hours in the night wanting outside and I've been dragging my butt out of bed to accommodate him. But I refused to give in this morning. The result: Unable to sleep for the hour and 15 minutes before my alarm clock goes off. HE NEVER STOPPED.

Result: Zorro 1, Brandi 0.

And on the writing side of things, my desire to write FURY's synopsis dwindled to nothing today. I tried. Really, I did. But it just didn't work out. Once again, I thought of just abandoning FURY altogether. Stopped myself from trashing it just in time. Instead, I've been researching agents and decided which ones are going to be on my A-list (AKA Break-My-Heart-List). Which, for some reason, I also found exhausting. At this point, I have three. THREE. Only 17 more to go, folks. (To start with.)

So I tried to distract myself with other writer's works, but that made me pissy, too, because (call me crazy) but I believe that if I take the time to critique your work, you should do the same to mine. The majority of the people on the WD Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum are really good about returning the favor. But some... don't. So, I'm being petty and I am not going to comment on these people's work. Too bad for you, writer. (I'll probably get over this by tomorrow, but, for now, I'm crossing my arms and sticking out my lower lip like a truculent two-year-old.)

Don't get me wrong, I know people can get busy. But if you're going to post a piece for review (and therefore asking others to sacrifice their time to critique it) then you damned well better return the favor. Even if it's just to say "Hey, I liked this!"

Gah.

End rant.

4 comments:

  1. Hi how are you?

    I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

    I have a blog also obviously and would like to invite you to become my blog friend.

    I mostly post about the Southern California experience through the perspective of my art. Maybe you can become my pal, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

    Well I hope to hear from you soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ranting is good from time to time, and I very much enjoyed your use of the word "truculent", which you really don't see very often.
    Anacondas, cats, and agents...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the dream was a subliminal indication that you wanted the cat eaten?

    I know I've slacked off on the critiques, but I rarely have the concentration level to comment on someone's writing. Or do anything besides nonsense posts on the random forum and my blog. That's a major reason I rarely post my own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, Joe, it's not you. And you offer enough advice/support/good-natured ridicule on the sidelines to make up for not commenting directly. And, really, I'm just being petty. I'll get over it. :)

    ReplyDelete