I have a big problem with complexity in stories. Not lack of it. Oh no. I have too much of it.
Why? Well, I love a puzzle. When I read a story, be it a mystery or not, I want to be able to guess at something and have an ah-ha! moment when everything falls together like it was supposed to. But, in my own work, I can't stop at one puzzle. Or even two. No. The more the merrier for me!
Which leaves me with a big jumbled mess.
I thought I'd finally gotten over this in FURY. I told myself "Just go A to B, Brandi. No more loop-de-loops. Clarify. Clarify. Clarify."
Except I got over-excited and did my whole "What if THIS happened!" and ka-blewy. There goes my linear story. Which might have worked if it was at the beginning. But I'm almost at the end for goodness sake. Grr.
Now, I have to take a step back and try to muddle through this new mess I've created. Messes are fun to make, not so fun to clean up. Especially in writing.
Hahaha! I know how that goes. Keep working at it. I want to be able to hold a copy of Fury in my hands someday.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jaleh! Let's just hope it's sooner rather than later.
ReplyDelete