Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Book Review: Entwined

EntwinedEntwined by Heather Dixon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

ENTWINED by Heather Dixon was like Beauty and the Beast meets Harry Potter meets Pride and Prejudice--romantic, magical and quirky.

As far as plots go, this was one of the most well-written I have read in YA literature in a long time. All the events entwined (pardon the pun) in the most beautiful, elegant and exceptional way. While I might have seen some of the "twists" coming, they came in such a way that didn't make me roll my eyes or feel like the author was treating me like someone with minimal intelligence. (Instead, I just felt very self-satisfied and smug.)

Another thing I found interesting and refreshing about this story was the way it was written: it has a Victorian feel to it. More so, I thought, than that of a fairy tale, though there were of course those elements. The writing was very polite and proper, which made the moments that weren't that much more sparkling. The descriptions were vivid and a few phrases even had me chuckling at their cleverness (the rug at the end had me laughing out loud).

The more I think about this book, the more I admire it--the humor, the imagery, the characters. It feels so FRESH in a YA world of regurgitated ideas and plot devices. I will definitely keep this author on my "to watch" list.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for in a book. I'm adding it to my "must read" list now. :)

    ReplyDelete