Monday, February 28, 2011

Write Like You Mean It

Note: I totally borrowed the inspiration for this post from today's post over at The Sharp Angle. (Haha, I read your blogs more than you might think, Lydia!)

I have a one track mind sometimes and only enough passion in my body for a limited number of things. Namely, my husband, my pets, my family and then one other thing. Lately, it's been running.

I run at least three times a week. Without fail. Compared to some runners, that's probably laughable, but to me it's a big commitment. It takes a lot of time, a lot of effort, and not a little sweat to pound out 3 miles three times a week. And, yet, I love it.

I used to feel that way about writing.

Some part of me still does. I still have ideas flitting around in this skull of mine, but no NEED to write it. I used to write almost every day. I had to or I felt like I would go crazy. Not all the words were gems, but at least they were out on paper. At least I made the effort, took the time, and sweated out the words. I've decided that I need to do that again.

Lydia talked about how she gets into her writing groove because she writes every day. It's like a habit for her, so she doesn't have to struggle so long with getting the feel for her story or rediscovering her voice. And I think that is my problem. I've been out of practice so long that writing is HARD. It takes me forever to get a steady groove going and then by the time I do, I've lost interest because I'm so frustrated with how WRONG everything sounds.

But today I'm going to start writing like I mean it. If I can dedicate three hours a week to running, I can at least do that for writing, right? So, I'm going to write for at least 30 minutes Monday through Saturday. Hopefully if I start setting aside time to write, my groove will be easier to get into.

I've started a short story that I'm constantly thinking about, so I'll start with that. I would like to submit it to Circlet Press for one of their anthologies, and the deadline is March 15. Maybe if I write for 30 minutes six times a week, I'll get it done, get it edited and get it submitted. It would be nice to feel like a writer again. :)

1 comment:

  1. I've got to get back into my groove too. That's my goal for this month. Nice analogy to running.

    ReplyDelete