Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Good News! I'm not dead!

I'm on the mend. Finally. I suffered a setback over the weekend because I had a severe allergic reaction to my antibiotics. Only one day left to take them and I have a reaction! Gah! But, I'm better now. My skin has returned to its normal hue and my brain is halfway functioning. So, yay!

I have good news to share, as well. (Besides that I'm not dead.) I recently submitted a story to an anthology and it passed through the first round of submissions. That's not to say that it won't be rejected the next round, but it made me happy that it wasn't so horrible it garnered an instantaneous rejection. So, smiley face!

I really needed that boost, too, because my enthusiasm has been flagging again. (Though I partly blame that on being ill and on medication.) Hopefully this will give me the spark I need to continue on with my novels (which have been gathering dust (or mold, take your pick) on the thumb drive). I'm liking this short story writing, however, because it gives me a sense of accomplishment. It only takes me a few hours to finish a rough draft, compared to a few months for a novel. And editing/revising is SO much easier. But, of course, short stories have their own set of challenges, which I'm enjoying grappling with. Rawr!

I've been considering participating in NaNoWriMo this year. I've never done it before (because I'm awful about sticking to a writing schedule), but maybe this is the time for it. I could really use another complete novel. I'm think YA. I might even cheat a little by using Morgan's Tree. But since it's only like 3K, it wouldn't be cheating too badly, right? Plus, I really want to finish it and this might give me the motivation I need.

8 comments:

  1. YAY...for not being dead.
    Double YAY...for the short story success.

    And have fun with NaNo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're feeling better! I'm doing NaNo this year! If you decide to do it, you should buddy me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on moving to the next round, and I am pleased that you're not dead.

    'Cause if you were, this blog post would be spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! Congrats on making it to the next level. Someone as talented as you deserves that and much more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers for your story progress. And cheers that you are feeling better. If I decide to do NaNo, I'll be sure to buddy you and Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yayyyy! You're alive! Adverse reactions stink. Glad you're finally on the mend. And congrats on passing the first round with your anthology!

    I think NaNoWriMo is a good idea when you're wanting to come up with a new idea. Even if you don't hit the word goal, it can still be a building block to a brand spanking new novel. (And I say YA too!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're feeling better, Brandi, and congrats on making it to the next phase on your submission. I'm trying NaNo this year too, so feel free to buddy me if you want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all for the well wishes! I've decided to go ahead and dive in on the NaNoWriMo and, until then, focus on another short story for another anthology. Why not? And, really, having good health is so underrated. Health all around!

    ReplyDelete